Friday 10 December 2010

Opening 6

I chose this piece because of how concentrated the story is on the character. I thought that with the other openings they did not catch my attention because of the descriptions, and I think having descriptions in the beginning does not give it it's powerful start to the story. I also liked how strong the character was, for example when he said "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth" because it gives the reader an introduction to the main character and how he acts which also makes it entertaining. I already have some awareness of what the main character is like, he seems moody and not very grateful, which can show the reader some foreshadowing that perhaps later on in the story something will happen because of the way the character acts which makes the reader more involved with the story. I think when a character has a strong personality in the beginning of the story it makes the beginning more unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.