Thursday 9 December 2010

Opening 7

The opening I preferred was number 7. “My front four teeth are gone, I have a hole in my cheek, my nose is broken and my eyes are swollen nearly shut…..I look at my clothes and my clothes are covered with a colourful mixture of spit, snot, urine, vomit and blood.” These two sentences were the trigger for choosing this opening as my favourite. It makes me want to know what happened to the person. The author has such a simple way of writing which makes the reader very curious about how the story will continue and I believe, especially that makes an opening good. Something long and descriptive won’t be as gripping as the above is. I like deep descriptions a lot but not for beginnings of a novel. Even though it is unknown what had happened, the reader feels sympathy for the man in the story, at least in my case. I just want to mention that opening 8 had a similar impact on me as opening 7 did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.